Friday, January 6, 2012

Piers Anthony, protoblogger?

When I was a teenager, one of my favorite SF/fantasy authors was Piers Anthony.  I was especially fond of On a Pale Horse, the first book in his Incarnations of Immortality series.  But even more than his books, what I enjoyed were the author's notes he included at the end of each book.  Here, at fairly extensive length (20 pages or so), Anthony would write about his thoughts while writing the book, his struggles with his computer systems, his exercise program, local events in his part of Florida, and anything else that came to his mind.  Even after I had stopped reading Anthony's books, I would still look at the them in the bookstore so I could read the author's note.  He has since turned his author's notes into a newsletter on his website, updated with increasing regularity since 1997.  Even if I never read another of Anthony's books, I'll continue to enjoy to enjoy his nattering about his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment